022111 cloud of words

Sunday, July 8, 2012

moving

We're moving again. I'll be in a 5-year program at Columbia, so hopefully this time we'll manage to stay in one spot for at least 2 years in a row. That's not something I've experienced for seven eight years -- since I left for college. Every year (or even more often) brought a new dorm in college. Then, after graduating, there were 15 months in Houston, 12 in Plainsboro, 11 in Princeton, and now wrapping up 12 in Chapel Hill.

We've found a place in Jersey City to rent for 12 months, which we'll probably renew for another 12, or possibly look to buy a place. I really like it, and I'm looking forward to living there. I think I'll even change the address on my bank accounts -- it's been my parents' address all this time.

We're moving up in a 2-door hatchback. And so we're trying to get rid of nearly everything we own. We didn't collect much down here, but there's all the furniture we bought (sofa, bed, dining set, coffee table, bookshelves), plus odds and ends we've found we don't need (knife set, bookends, clothes). We'll give away the extra paper towels and laundry detergent that doesn't fit in the car. In the next week I'll have hopefully sold my car, at which point we'll be a 1-car household. Big changes, but our lifestyle will also be quite different in the city.

Come visit us, if you're in the area. We'll have a guest bed and an awesome kitchen.

This move that'll have us more settled is just one sign of the times to come. So many friends are getting married right now. The process of growing up is accelerating! Soon it'll be babies, and even that is close on the horizon. Exciting times, folks!

3 comments:

  1. More like 8 years I think! (ack...)

    I first read your post as we're moving into a 2-door hatchback and thought hold on that's not what I thought from the pictures you showed me before. Am very glad that you're not moving into a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol if we were moving into a 2-door hatchback...then we've still got way too much stuff. i think you're right about the 8 years, too...clearly my addition needs work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura! I'm so excited to have you guys back in Jersey/NY area :)

    ReplyDelete